The Idemitsu Ship Vetting Service was set up on 1st October 1993 in Idemitsu Tanker Co.,Ltd.
The our system is supported not only by the vetting companies such major oil companies but also other technical/marine-technical staff of the company, persons in charge of oil trading of Idemitsu group, Berth Masters of refineries and complexes, and Idemitsu SIRE inspectors in Japan and several foreign countries. “Ship Vetting & Inspection Service Office” (Hereinafter referred to as “Idemitsu Ship Vetting Service”) is managing this whole system as the center of control.
The following ocean going tankers (oil/chemical/LPG) are checked by the “Idemitsu Ship Vetting Service” every time they are nominated for Idemitsu business:
- The vessel which will be chartered by Idemitsu Group
- The vessel which will call at Idemitsu Group terminal(s), complex(es), and oil depot
- The vessel which will carry Idemitsu Group cargo(es)
Criterion for judgment is made based upon internal vetting criteria of Idemitsu, taking account of all available information including SIRE inspection reports (of Idemitsu Tanker or other OCIMF SIRE submitting members), terminal feedback, Port State Control information and owner’s/operator’s assessment. Ship’s physical conditions (ship’s age, SDWT, mooring facilities, parallel body length, etc.) are also taken into consideration.
The system attaches much importance to Idemitsu inspections. It is carried out by Idemitsu’s experienced inspectors and obtain extra information such as detailed comments and evaluation, that are not seen in SIRE reports, However, Idemitsu recognizes that the membership’s mutual trust in SIRE reports is also necessary to avoid unreasonable overlap of inspections.
SIRE reports are treated as one of the most important basis of judgement in the Idemitsu Vetting.
The final vetting decisions are made by “Idemitsu Ship Vetting Service”. However, the following vessels are left out from its consideration unconditionally:
- The vessel that has deficiencies noted in ship inspection report(s) of Idemitsu or other SIRE member(s) with no comments of owner / operator of them.
- The vessel that has deficiencies pointed out by the Berth Master(s) of Idemitsu terminal(s) in writing, directly to the vessel or sometimes by way of “Idemitsu Ship Vetting Service” to owner/operator, and no information of rectification has been provided by owner/operator to Idemitsu.